Site news

Welcome to the February 2020 Early Years SEND Bulletin

Picture of Tina Newman
Welcome to the February 2020 Early Years SEND Bulletin
by Tina Newman - Friday, 7 February 2020, 11:41 AM

From Carrie White, Early Years Lead SEND Teacher

I can’t believe it’s been a month since I joined the team so much has happened. I have been out and about visiting settings with members of the team. I have visited Big and Little Builders groups and had fun playing with the children whilst everyone else works hard! I have been meeting lots of professionals such as health visitors, the team at Snapdragons, the Children and Family hub managers and lots of nursery staff.  Thank you all for being so welcoming.

To update you all with a few things the team and I have planned SENCO cluster briefings which begin the week after February half term. 

Cluster Briefing: Please note settings are welcome to come to any one of the dates – please let your Early Years SEND Practitioners or Tina Newman at tina.newman@medway.gov.uk when you are planning to attend so we can make sure there is room!

• Tuesday, 25 February 2020, 1:30 pm to 3 pm at Oaklands Children and Family Wellbeing Centre, Weedswood Road ME5 0QS for Chatham, Lordswood and Walderslade
  • Tuesday, 3 March 2020, 1 pm to 2:30 pm at Gun Lane Children and Family Wellbeing Centre, Gun Lane ME2 4UF for Strood and Rochester
  • Wednesday, 25 March 2020, 1:30 pm to 3 pm at Twydall Children and Family Wellbeing Centre, Romany Road ME8 6JH for Gillingham and Rainham

We have looked at the training offer from the team and will be sending this out to you following on from the Cluster briefings.  I have been looking at how the team support settings and you will all be receiving a Survey Monkey from me asking for your thoughts about our service, please complete the survey as hearing your views will help us identify what we need to do to support you further.

During my meeting with Snapdragons they requested that I share with you they have a duty line which is available on Monday mornings between 9 and 12 for you to discuss any issues with their team, they try to have a member from each service available during this time. Parents can also ring the advice line.  The number is 0300 123 3444

When making referrals to Snapdragons they have requested as much information as possible for them to triage the forms correctly.  If a child appears to have regressed in any area, then please make a referral straight away giving as much detail as possible.

IMPORTANT - Invoices – Information from Julia Hanks

FOA of settings claiming SEN Inclusion Funding (SIF)

Due to the end of the financial year, please could you submit any invoices up to and including March as soon as possible as these must be paid by 31/03/2019.   I am happy for you to submit March’s invoices in advance, ready for payment in March.  You must though let me know if a child leaves the setting before the 1st March 2020.

If you have any queries please contact Julia Hanks on 01634 331194 or via julia.hanks@medway.gov.uk if you are using a secure email account.

Disability Access Funding (DAF)

Please remember to check with your parents to see if they are in receipt of Disability Living Allowance (DLA).  If they are then on elearning website, you will find the forms to allow you to claim the DAF additional funding to support children.  Remember this funding is only for children in Nursery and is ring fenced for Early Years.  If you are unsure, please speak with your Early Years SEND Practitioner or speak to Carrie White EY Lead SEND Teacher.