Site news

Welcome to the July 2021 Early Years SEND Bulletin

Picture of Tina Newman
Welcome to the July 2021 Early Years SEND Bulletin
by Tina Newman - Friday, 23 July 2021, 2:21 PM

From Carrie White, Early Years SEND Lead Teacher

The end of the academic year is upon us, it’s been another tough year which has been very up and down due to Covid. Just as we begin to see the end of the restrictions it appears numbers are climbing so, please stay safe.  If you are a term time only setting have a wonderful six-week break, those of you who are year-round you try to get a break when you can.

The Early Years SEN team do have members of staff who work year around, they are Amber, Cindy and Dawn so there is someone available if you need them.  The eyhighneeds mailbox will be monitored throughout Summer so please if you need someone urgently, please send an email and it will be addressed for you.

With the launch of the New Early Years Foundation Stage in September, we know we have a huge number of changes in front of us. For most of September, we will be offering training around the new EYFS and how this impacts our world of SEN.  The real focus for us is ensuring that the evidence you are gathering for SENIF applications and Education, Health Care Plan Needs Assessments is not creating too much more work for you.  Please come along to our online training to find out some more, the dates are below.  We are hoping to be back to training on a face-to-face level within the next academic year.

Thank you for all your hard work to support our children.

Carrie

Summer contact

As mentioned, Amber, Cindy and Dawn are working during the summer break so if you do need them, please email eyhighneeds@medway.gov.uk and someone will be in contact with you.

Funding

A huge thank you to you all for your patience with funding.  There was an issue with the spreadsheet I was using which resulted in the spreadsheet becoming corrupt and I had to start all over again.  You can still invoice for your funding, and it will continue to be paid I believe I have caught up with each payment.  Unfortunately, we did not realise the problem quickly enough which resulted in having to relook at 9 months’ worth of funding invoices.

I endeavour to be better in this department from September to ensure funding is paid quickly and you are informed of all decisions in a timely fashion.

The provision map and funding forms are available on the eLearning website (https://www.e-learningatlast.org.uk) and these will be changing in the Autumn term we will provide training around the new format and examples for settings.  Please email funding requests to eyhighneeds@medway.gov.uk.  Funding panel only sits during term time, so the next panel is now in September.

Discussion Prompt and Reflections tool

The team and I have been looking at ways to make gathering evidence about children easier and we created a discussion prompt and reflection tool.  This is based on the four areas of the Code of Practice - we have thought if the questions we would consider to be most helpful when thinking about a child’s level of need.  We then thought about the additional follow up questions we would ask.  Attached to the bulletin today is the Communication and Interaction section - this tool will be used alongside our SENCO surgery discussions and will also form part of the evidence for EHCP needs assessment and SENIF applications.  The team and I were keen to get something to you before September, but we were also keen not to rush it and to actually think through it carefully.  We have a team day early in September in which we will create the other sections, and these will be circulated as one document then.  Please have a look at the attached section and if you would like to email me then my email is carrie.white@medway.gov.uk I will be checking my emails periodically over the summer holiday.  I am keen to take feedback and create this alongside you making it work for all of us.

EY SEND Training

The training we are offering during Term 1 will be online and the dates are below, as previously mentioned our focus to begin with is the impact of the New EYFS and how this works for our SEN children.

New EYFS and SEN training

Tuesday 14th September at 10:00

Tuesday 28th September at 10:00

SEN for Managers

This course is designed for managers/owners to give them an insight of what a SENCO does and how they can best support their SENCO

Thursday 7th October at 10:30

New to the role of SENCO

Thursday 7th October at 13:30

Provision Maps

Looking at the updated provision map and how to complete it

Tuesday 12th October at 10:00

We have plans for training about SMART targets, Individual Education Plans, Behaviour which challenges but as previously mentioned the focus of the first term is the changes to the EYFS.

If you would like to book onto any of the training courses, please email Tina Newman at tina.newman@medway.gov.uk with your SENCo’s name/name of the staff attending and the email address to be used to join the session. As with the other sessions we’ve offered, the email address will be added on to a Microsoft Teams group which could be seen by other delegates and other EY SEND Team members.